Check Bootloader Version on GTab Before Root!

OLD ARTICLE – Probably has errors

Which bootloader version/branch does your GTab have?

HOW TO CHECK BootLoader Version:

• If you have STOCK Tap-n-Tap: Go to Settings — About Tablet — Tapu UI Version.
  1. If your firmware starts with “1.0” or “1.1”, then you have the older 1.1 bootloader.
  2. If your firmware starts with “1.2, then you have the 1.2 bootloader. (An obvious difference between the two versions of firmware is that the 1.2 branch adds a lockscreen to the tablet.)
  • If you have flashed a CUSTOM ROM: It is a bit difficult to determine from inside the ROM. However, the version of ClockworkMod (CWM) will be different. Boot into CWM (Power & Vol + buttons). The CWM version number will be displayed.
  1. If it displays “Clockworkmod v.2.5.1.8” or “2.5.1.1-bekit-0.8” or if the version number includes “bekit” in it, then you have the version 1.1 bootloader.
  2. If it displays “Clockworkmod v3.0.2.8 (GTablet 1.2 dev branch, and NI Adam compatible)” or, a newer version, then you have the version 1.2 bootloader.
lockscreen

Tap-n-Tap 1.2-4349 has a lockscreen

There is no difference in the hardware using the two different versions of the bootloader. The difference is entirely in the firmware – which can be switched from one to the other. However, the ROM & bootloader version MUST agree.

————————

There are two situations to consider:

1. Soft-bricked Devices The term “soft-bricked” refers to a GTab that is locked up at some point (stuck at the 3 birds or similar) and the user has no control.
  2. Devices that are operating but you want to flash a new (custom) ROM.

[important]Regardless which situation you are in… Or, (if bricked) how the device got bricked…  or the bootloader version that you have installed…

ALL users will need to visit “NVFlash for Dummies” to proceed.

[/important]

Click here for a more complete description of the difference between bootloaders – thanks Roebeet.

NOTE: To determine if your device has the LARGER (250meg) system partition…

To check the size of your SYSTEM partition, open Terminal Emulator app (free on Market), and type in “df” (without quotes) and hit enter.

The “Filesystem” area is at the top of the list (either turn the GTab to portrait mode or scroll up to view the top of the list). Check the line that ends “/system”.

My device (250meg) reads:

/dev/block/mtdblock3 253696 216480 37216 85% /system

If your device shows something around 200000 instead of the 216480, then you probably have the smaller (200meg) system partition.

As always, please leave a comment.

Tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Check Bootloader Version on GTab Before Root!

1. bill pence says:

Above when talking of the “larger” system partition, you mention:

My device (250meg) reads:

/dev/block/mtdblock3 253696 216480 37216 85% /system

Did you mean to refer to the 253696 total space value rather than the 216480 used amount value?

2. Ray Waldo says:

@Mike:
    Quote “Ok, I ended up upgrading to Flashback 8.0 over 7.2 using CWM withoutout any issues. I went ahead and cleared cache and dalvik just to be safe. all is great! Tablet running perfect.
    Thanks again!”
    Glad it worked ok for you. I could not reply to this comment directly. It was too deep in the thread.

3. Mike says:

I am running CM7 on my Gtab but I am not sure which bootloader. I followed your instructions and check which ClockWorksMod version I have and it is v4.0.1.5

Does this mean I have 1.2 bootloader? Is there any other way to check for sure which bootloader I have?

Thanks for all your hard work!!! Love your website!

I do not recognize the v4 version of CWM but… If you followed OUR guide here and loaded OUR LINK to CM7, then you have 1.1bl.
      Regardless, I recommend that you NVFlash to 1.2 using our guide “NVFlash for Dummies.”
      That will give you plenty of options. Almost everything except CM7 is set for 1.2bl. Even CM7 has a “repackaged” version that works on 1.2bl.

• Mike says:

Thanks soo much for the reply. I had not found your website back when I first got my Gtablet 🙁

I first had installed one of the vegan roms and then I Nvflashed and switched over to CM7. CM7 is actually running nicely for me but I just wanted to experiment a bit. I watch a lot of Netflix (on the netflix app), my daughter plays games with it, I would like to watch HBOGO through the HBOGO app but that app force closes once I try to log in. Not sure if it would work better with a different rom.

Assuming that I am in fact on 1.1BL and follow the instructions to go to 1.2BL is it possible for me to restore the tablet to exactly how I have it right now? I REALLY do not want to loose my Netflix app…

Can I just do a backup from CWM…then Nvflash to 1.2 try the other roms and if I am not happy go back to 1.1BL and restore the backup of my current setup?

How would I go from 1.2BL to 1.1BL?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really don’t want to back track from where I am right now.

Thanks again!

• Mike says:

One more follow up question…If I do go over to a new rom can I use Titanium Backup to restore my apps?

Thanks

I HIGHLY DISCOURAGE using TB to restore your apps. In my experience, it has introduced problems in the new ROM. But, as I said in the previous comment, the Android Market (and Amazon Market) will restore all of your paid apps and MOST of your free apps. You only need to reconfigure them.
            If you do it all manually this once (on 1.2bl), then use CWM to backup, you can restore to a fresh copy of that rom VERY quickly. Most roms allow you to update from one version number to another by just flashing on top of the existing rom – no config needed.
            In the worst case, you will need to Reset & clear the caches. But that is usually when you change to a different ROM.
            But (related to your previous question), you CAN use CWM to backup one rom (say Flashback) and then flash GTabComb. If you don’t like GTabComb, just restore the FB backup. EASY! But it MUST be on the same Boot Loader version.

Excellent question.
          I am sorry that you CANNOT backup and restore to different versions of the bootloader. However, you CAN go back to CM7 while still on 1.2bl. There is a repackaged version of CM7 that runs on 1.2bl (check on XDA). Android Market will restore most of your apps – regardless of the ROM you flash. You will just need to reconfigure your desktop and add a few (free) apps back.
          The GOOD NEWS is that you will NOT want to go back to CM7 🙂
          The Honeycomb ROMS do almost everything that CM7 can do except that CM7 is a bit better at HD Video and the camera works with CM7. None of the GTab roms has true HW acceleration.
          Netflix app works GREAT on every ROM that I have tried. I don’t have HBO so I have never tried their GO app.

• Mike says:

Ok, so I decided to just go ahead and take the plunge!! I switched over to 1.2 bootloader. — I followed your “NVFlash for Dummies” instructions EXACTLY to the letter and I also followed your “ClockworkMod 1.2bl & Honeycomb on GTab” instructions again 100% to the letter. — I always thought that back when I first “modded” my gtablet I made some mistakes when I switched from Vegan to CM7 because the tablet was always kind of sluggish. BUT, since it was basically doing what I wanted I did not want to mess with it. I am soo glad I found your site because when I saw all the instructions so clearly written AND organized I felt I could pull it off without actually getting confused and making things worse!!! the tablet now has 1.2 bootloader with a 100% Superclean install of FlashBack 7.2 and is running A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Feels like I just bought a new tablet. It did re-install most of my Apps automatically and the rest I am adding from market. Thanks for all you help and this wonderful resource. I am soo happy and i still can’t believe my little gtablet is running soo good right now and with honeycomb to boot 😉

• Mike says:

Whoops…meant to say that it is running Flashback 7.2

• Mike says:

Ok, I think I am confused now. I hooked up the tablet while turned on, to the usb on my PC. I think I am looking at the the external microsd card and see a update.zip (which is an old one from when I flashed the gtap months ago). When I look at my Internal “sdcard” with ES File Explorer there is not an update.zip there. Now I am using ES File Explorer and I am at the main/root position on the internal card and there is a folder there called “root” do I put the new update.zip inside that folder or do I put it in the main “/” position of the internal memory card?

Thanks

That is a GREAT report! I am pleased that our site was able to help you get it all working.
            BTW, Flashback 8.0 is out and it works at least as well as 7.2. Just flash 8.0 on top of the 7.2. No need to reset.
            It is always a good idea to clear the caches (normal and Dalvik). That will not cause you to lose any configuration but it will take a couple minutes longer to boot the first time.

• Mike says:

Yup, I saw that 8.0 is out…7.2 is running soo amazing that I don’t want to mess with it lol 🙂 What is the best way to flash 8.0 over 7.2? Should I go into ClockWorkMod and mount USB then hook tablet up to my PC and transfer 8.0 (update.zip) into root of internal memory, then “apply sdcard:update.zip”? — OR — can I just hook up the tablet to my PC while it is running and connect via USB, transfer the 8.0 update.zip to root then go to ClockworkMod and “apply sdcard:update.zip”? Do I have to back anything up or change anything else?

Thanks again!!!

• Mike says:

Also, the 7.2 update.zip is still in the root directory of internal memory on gtablet, do i delete that version update.zip? copy the new one over it? or rename it and keep it in the root directory of the gtablet?

Thanks!

• Mike says:

Thanks again!

4. Jim Clark says:

I purchased a GTab from the last sellout.woot sale. It has the 1.2 version of the bootloader, but the link to “Downgrade GTab Bootloader in order to flash most of the new Custom ROMs” is broken. Does anyone have a working link to these instructions?

The link is NO LONGER broken. Sorry about that. The link WAS broken but it is fixed now. Thanks for letting me know about the problem.
      BTW, you will usually find all of the links to associated page in the right sidebar. Also, the links for the series are listed at the end of each article. I tried the link at the bottom but the one at the top was the one that had a typo. Again, sorry about the confusion.

5. Steve says:

Hi Ray,

I want to thank you again for all of your help. After receiving your most recent answer (and encouragement), I tried the root process again, and it worked PERFECTLY.
    I REALLY like Cyanogen mod 7. It is a phenomenal ROM.

In fact, my brother is now asking me to root his for him next time he comes into town. I told him (and many others) about your website, so I think you can expect more visitors soon.

I would’ve emailed you back sooner, but I had a rough work schedule the last half ot the week.

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!

Steve

Thanks for the report Steve! And, for the recommendations. The number of visits to this site are now 10x what they were a few weeks ago. Primarily because of the GTab guides. My server was actually lagging a bit yesterday! (a good thing).
      Again, all the real credit goes to the devs who created these roms and offered them to us. All I have done is “translate” their technical instructions into laymen’s language.

6. Bill Eastman says:

Is there a way to tell the bootloader you have if you already put cm on it? Bootmanager doesn’t. Work.

Hey Bill. I do not know how to read the bootloader version directly. However, if you have the bekit ClockworkMod Recovery, then you have 1.1. I am presently working on some instructions to move from 1.1 to 1.2 and the future ROMs that require 1.2.
      For the present, if you want to run a standard CM7 ROM, you must have the 1.1 bootloader that my instructions install. So, just jump in at the “Flash a Custom Rom” page and go ‘fer it!
      If you want to flash any of the 1.2-based ROMs, you will need to either figure out the process via the Android forums or wait until I have the process worked out and available here. (Probably in a few days.)

Thanks for the link. I read all the posts there and I am sure this is the future, but for now, it has too many issues for me to recommend to our “ordinary” users.
      I will revise my instructions when cm7 starts building for bl1.2.

7. Steve says:

Thank you for help. I got all the way through NVflash-for_dummies. It was a lifesaver.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to try rooting it to CM7 again or not. I’d love to have it, but I am wondering if it wouldn’t most likely be a repeat performance of my previous attempt. I’m kind of slow at these things as you can tell.

What do you think? Thanks again for all your help,

Steve

8. Steve says:

Thanks for your quick reply. I had not seen the nvflash-for-dummies, but it is OH so appropriately named in my case. That’ll be my next step. Wish me luck.
    Thanks,
    Steve

9. Steve says:

Hi Ray,

I followed your instructions on your webpage about installing cyanogenmod on the G Tablet. I used clockworkmod to downgrade to bootloader 1.1 from 1.2, then step by step, followed the remainder of the instructions in part 2 concluding with copying the cyanogen, GAPPS and vold files to the internal SD card.

Up to that point, everything had gone perfectly, but when I rebooted, I got stuck in a bootloop at the birds. I’ve tried EVERYTHING you listed to no avail. It is NOT bricked. I can still get into clockworkmod.

I cannot restore it to its previous condition even using NVflash because, for whatever reason, NVidia has removed “Android 2.2.msi” from its Tegra website, and I can’t find it anywhere else.

Could you offer any suggestions?

Steve

Hey Steve. Sorry you are having problems. But you are still in the works. Just keep trying stuff – you will get there – and it is worth it!
      If you have already tried “everything” I posted, then you have already followed Part 3 about boot loops. In that case, have you tried our NEW “NVFlash for Dummies”?
      http://bishoptec.com/2011/06/nvflash-for-dummies/ It should include everything you need without the msi file you mentioned.