Netflix on GTab

[error]

Outdated Article!

This entire series of articles is deprecated! Newer ROMs and advanced procedures have replaced (or made obsolete) the information in these articles. This article is retained only for archival purposes.

Please check out our NEWER series of articles on the ViewSonic G-Tablet: http://bishoptec.com/series/gtab-2/
[/error]

Want to watch Netflix video streaming on your GTab?

Netflix on Android

Note: This does not work on the current Honeycomb ROMS. Instead, Download (working) Netflix 1.3 .apk here: http://www.multiupload.com/3A8C4GWL8R  (Hint, use the GTab to hit the link and then install from there). BTW, Android 2.3 users may wish to try this also. Please leave a comment if it does/does not work.

Netflix has released an official application for Android. However, only a few devices have been certified to use the app and if your device is not included (the G-Tablet is not), then the application will not be presented when you search on the Android Market. Experience has shown that the application can work on many (most?) android devices. The problem is that even if you manage to find a copy of the app and install it on an unsupported device (such as the GTab), it will not work. However, there are several forums that have described the process to fool the Netflix app into thinking that you are installing it on one of the approved devices. One of those posts is on the androidtablets.net forum. I don’t know if it is original or not but it does work. Here is the link… http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/viewsonic-gtablet-technical/14746-netflix-my-g-tab.html I have no intention of trying to steal someone else’s “thunder” but in order to make it simple for those reading this post, here is a quote of the steps:

1.) Download the Root Explorer application or equivalent. (Root Explorer is a paid app, but it’s one of the best, so it may be worth it to you)

2.) Open Root Explorer and go into the System folder

3.) Once there, hit the Mount R/W button at the top right

4.) Hold down on the Build.prop file and open it in the text editor

5.) Change the following lines to look like the HTC build.prop

Here are the changes in text format:

ro.product.model=vision

ro.product.brand=nvidia

ro.product.name=vision

ro.product.device=vision

ro.product.manufacturer=HTC

6.) Hit menu, and Save & Exit. You should be told that the original build.prop was saved as build.prop.bak.

7.) Reboot the phone.

8.) Download and install the Netflix application, log in, and you should be good to go.

This makes your tab look like a tmobile G2 to netflix

As I said, I did NOT write these instructions. I did use them on my device and they work. The same instructions would likely work on other Android devices. You might want to check the original post to assure that these instructions are still up-to-date and appropriate for your device.

One note of caution: It is my understanding that whenever you flash a new rom, it will overwrite the build.prop file. That will require you to repeat the instructions before your Netflix app will operate correctly.

I would like to hear your comments..

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Netflix on GTab

1. Josh G. says:

Thanks a ton, Ray!
    I used the link you provided at the top of the post to download Netflix to my GTab running GtabComb beta 3.3 and it worked perfectly!
    This was a much easier solution than I thought I’d find.

2. Brian says:

Ray, thanks for the great writeups, between you and the brainiacs at XDA, I’m going to have a lot of fun playing around with my new GTab, complete with the CM7 and working netflix!

3. Chris says:

Wow. I just installed the Netflix app on the newly installed Honeycomb 3.2 on my gTab, and…it just worked!
    Amazing.

• Terry says:

Is the GtabComb ROM Honeycomb 3.2 or 3.0? I know the GtabComb version is 3.2

It is Honeycomb 3.0.1. Google has not yet released the code for HC so these are still behind on releases. Still a far cry better interface than the phone-centered version of 2.2 or 2.3.

4. Dave Sass says:

Ray:

Never mind – I figured it out. If you don’t use the Mount/RW on both the System folder and the file itself it won’t let you load it into a text editor. Very picky.

I got it working – thanks so much. This thing keeps getting better and better. My only complaint is that it is not very user friendly to make modifications and I’m a PC technician!

Even so – your site has been very helpful. Without it I would be lost. Thanks for all your hard work.

Dave

5. Dave Sass says:

Ray:

It’s me again. 🙂 I’m trying to get Netflix to work on the G-Tab. I downloaded the paid version of Root explorer and can find the build.prop file just fine. when I hold down the file it gives me no option to load it into a text editor. If I just open the file it opens it up into a text type editor but I can’t edit the file.

I tried getting to the file from my pc by mounting it to a USB port but my PC can’t see the system folder or file.

So – this is frustrating. I can see the file but I can’t edit it. How do you associate a text editor that I can change the lines with root explorer?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciate.

Happy 4th.

Dave

6. kate lathrop says:

Followed the instructions (running TnT Lite 4.5.1 on the G Tab). Got the app just fine, but when I ask it to play something, it just starts, then coes back to the main page. Anyone else have this?

I’ll double check the info I put in.

I get that on my G2 but not on my GTab. It works great on the GTab and that is where I use it (much larger display) so I never gave it much thought.
      If you made a backup of the build.prop file, delete the edited version and go back to the backed up file. Then edit it but do NOT change the fingerprint. I think that is what I did on my GTab.
      Actually, I just checked my GTab’s build.prop file and edited the instructions of what to change.

7. Gary Nachman says:

Ray:

Hope all is well.

I performed the HTC Vison/T-Mobile spoof to obtain Netflix. One little thing I noticed and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it. My G Tab no longer auto connects to WiFi upon start up, but requires me to manually connect to it in Settings. It autoconnected before I performed the Netflix mod, so I am assuming it is because the device now thinks it is a HTC Vision, it requires me to manually connect to WiFi upon startup.

Or is there a setting I overlooked.

Take care.

Gary

I have noticed that. But it is also happening on my wife’s nook that does not have nf. I suspect that it is a minor bug in cm7.0.3. It bothers my wife more than me.

8. Rich says:

Thanks Ray! What are the major differences between Vegan and CM7?

9. Rich says:

Hi Ray, Which OS did you use to get Netflix on your gtab?

I use cm7.0.3 but it should not matter. When you edit the build.prop file, and reboot, nf will show up in the market.