Upgrade to 1.2 Bootloader?

[error]

Outdated Article!

This entire series of articles is deprecated! Newer ROMs and advanced procedures have replaced (or made obsolete) the information in these articles. This article is retained only for archival purposes.

Please check out our NEWER series of articles on the ViewSonic G-Tablet: http://bishoptec.com/series/gtab-2/
[/error]

The Bootloader “wars” continue!

UPDATED July 25, 2011: I now recommend that you STAY at the 1.2 bootloader.

If I have version 1.2 should I downgrade? Or, if I have v.1.1 should I upgrade? With all the hoopla about the “new” v.1.2 bootloader loaded on the current Viewsonic G-Tablets (& some other Tegra2 tablets), I decided to check out what version 1.2 looks like – and if there is any benefit over the 1.1 version. Note: Flashing a ROM developed for one bootloader on a GTab loaded with the other will often “soft-brick” the device – they are NOT compatible.

lockscreen

Tap-n-Tap 1.2-4349 has a lockscreen3.0.2.8

My recommendation:

The basic question to ask is: What ROM do you want?

• If you want to flash the CyanogenMod 7 ROM, then you should go with the 1.1 bootloader (since that is what they officially support.)
  • If you want to flash Honeycomb or one of the growing number of other 1.2-based ROMs, then go with the 1.2 bootloader.

In either case, I recommend that you visit our “NVFlash for Dummies” page to start. From there, you can make the decision.

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Upgrade to 1.2 Bootloader?

1. Christopher says:

I know this is probably impossible to answer but would anyone have some idea if another updated version of Honeycomb will be coming out soon?

2. Ben says:

Why do you recommend the 1.2 for Honeycomb? I am running the 1.1 and it seems to be working well. If it is working well, should I still switch to the 1.1? Thanks!

As I said in the article, “If you want to flash Honeycomb or one of the growing number of other 1.2-based ROMs, then go with the 1.2 bootloader.” It appears that most of the newer ROMs are either on the 1.2 branch or they will be doing so soon. The only major holdout seems to be CM7 but there are versions of CM7 on the 1.2 branch. So, to be most universal, go to CM7. However, I don’t believe that there is any difference in the actual operation of the device based upon the bl version. You WILL introduce problems if you change branches and do not do a full WIPE. So, if you are not having issues and you are not changing ROM, then do not change bl. However, the next major change, I recommend that you do a full WIPE and change to the bl.1.2 branch.

• Bob Krause says:

Good advice, Pastor. I’m currently running Zyhong’s beta 3.3 on the 1.1 bootloader and everything’s working great, so I plan on sticking with the 1.1 bootloader for now. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” 🙂

I figure I’ll upgrade to the 1.2 bootloader the next time I have to do a “wipe and reset” to upgrade the ROM since that does seem to be the way all of the development is heading in the future.

3. Terry says:

I think there is a typo here Ray. Your recommendation at the end says:

“stay at bootloader 1.1 (or downgrade to 1.2)”

I think you meant to write “(or downgrade FROM 1.2)”

You are correct. I will change it right now.
      Note to all users: The “Bishop” in NOT infallible! ;-0
      But thanks to users like Terry and Lesternd, we will present clear – and CORRECT – info!