5 Steps to Install Linux on ChromeBook

This entry is part 1 of 1 in the series ChromeBook
  • 5 Steps to Install Linux on ChromeBook

5 Steps:

To load Linux as a simultaneous OS on your Chromebook C7 using Crouton (takes about 30 minutes):

1. Download

Download the CROUTON scripts (Chromium OS Universal Chroot Environment) here: http://goo.gl/fd3zc (It should download to your Downloads folder – do NOT rename it in any way).

2. Crosh

In Chrome, hit <Ctl><Alt><T> to get the Crosh command line interface (CLI).

3. Shell

In the “Crosh” window, type “shell” and press <enter> to get a bash shell.

4. Command

Type the following command (on one line) & press enter (if you are reading this on your ChromeBook, you can copy/paste the line:
sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -a i386 -r trusty -t audio,core,gtk-extra,keyboard,x11,chrome,cli-extra,extension,lxde
Explanation:
  • The “sudo” part sends the command as Super User (administrator)
  • The “sh” says to read & execute the following SCRIPT file (like DOS batch files.)
  • The “-e” option is to provide “echo” – print output to the screen.
  • The “~/Downloads/crouton” location of the script (“~” says start at the user’s home folder)
  • The “-a” option sets the architecture (C7 is i386 ; the ARM processor is armhf ; and if you have an AMD processor, it would be amd64 .)
  • The “-r” option is the desired release. I use “saucy” to load up the Ubuntu 13.10 (latest) version. If this option is omitted, it defaults to the the last Ubuntu LTS version, 12.04, precise.
  • The “-t” option defines which of the targets will be installed (MUST be separated by commas). For a list of “targets”, use the command “sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t help”.
  • I used the LXDE desktop. It is a small footprint desktop with menus like the older Gnome and is visually (and operationally) similar to Windows XP.

5. User

After everything is downloaded and installed (approximately 30 minutes if you have a fast Internet connection), the system will ask you for the name of the primary user. Enter you choice and then supply your chosen password (twice). After a short while, the system will present you with the options to start the new linux chroot.

Click here to continue reading on the next page…

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

127 Responses to 5 Steps to Install Linux on ChromeBook

1. Bill says:

I have an Acer C7 and installed the lxde desktop. Problem: No sound device found. Is there a fix?

2. Nikita says:

When I install Ubuntu, where are my files stored? In downloads folder? or elsewhere? Can I access them even after I uninstall Ubuntu?

In Ubuntu, you can save the files almost any place you want. By default, they will share the downloads folder with the ChromeOS. When / if you delete the Crouton Environment, the files will remain. They can be used in ChromeOS as long as you saved them in a folder that ChromeOS allows you to use.

3. Karel Michielsen says:

Hi Ray, I initially tried to upgrade to 14.04 LTSvia the promt I got in Unbuntu, after down loading 900 Mb it left me with a blank/dark screen.Somehow managed to turn computer off and the rebooted back into Chrome. Then thought I’d go back to your site and follow instructions, which I did but it comes up with

Be aware that dev mode is inherently insecure, even if you have a strong
    password in your chroot! Anyone can simply switch VTs and gain root access
    unless you’ve permanently assigned a Chromium OS root password. Encrypted
    chroots require you to set a Chromium OS root password, but are still only as
    secure as the passphrases you assign to them.

after hitting “enter”
    How do I get it to do it’s thing.
    thanks, Karel

• Karel Michielsen says:

played around some more
      entered sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -r trusty -t audio, etc.
      this started but hung up part of the way through, tried a few more times, sane result
      then I tried;
      sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -u -n trusty
      this hung up once, restarted it and it finished the installation succesfully.
      started with sudo startlxde
      The only app I’ve got is Chrome which works fine (even have sound, which I didn’t have before) but there is no Thunderbird or any of the other apps I had, can you tell me how to go about getting applications. Also if possible how to recover my saved emails from my Unity Thunderbird.
      Thanks, Karel

With Linux, you get full computer programs (called packages in Linux). Check the bottom of the guide (above) for a list of the packages that I like and how to install them.
        I stopped using TB for mail a LONG time ago. I much prefer to use the cloud-based GMail. However, you can use the above guide for installing any available package. Whether your mail will still be available is doubtful. If TB was storing the data locally, it is probably gone now – if you did not MANUALLY back up the data. That is what is so good about GMail. All the mail is kept in the cloud and can be accessed via phone, tablet, or computer. Google takes care of the backups and it is all free. With a computer, you access it via a browser. In iOS or Android, use the app.

That is a standard warning that everyone gets.

• Mac says:

maybe illigal but i must ask :), the linux under crouton uses the drivers from the chrome os, thus meaning crouton its a some kind of a virtual box, is it possible to install other Unix OS, lets say MAC OS X :), it will be illigal but rly cool, can you try this or it is “undoable”
      cheers

Other versions of Linux are possible but I am not the developer so I don’t know much about it. You could visit the Crouton Wiki (link at the bottom of the article).