Question: Can I have a Private Domain Name for my site on this community? Answer: YES!
One of the first things that you may wish to do is to purchase a domain name for your website. You can do that with a domain registry of your choosing. Some registrars charge as little as $4 or $5 per year. Others may charge as much as $35. The difference generally is the level of service that you get with the purchase.
One of the most popular registrar sites is GoDaddy.com but I can not recommend them. Even though they may be cheaper than some others, I have found them difficult to work with. Plus, I find their TV ads objectionable.
- Visit http://instantdomainsearch.com/ to find a domain name that you want – and that is available. You may purchase it online from one of the sites that they recommend or from any other registrar. For the simplest solution, you may authorize us to purchase the domain for you. See the note at the bottom of this page.
- Once you have purchased a domain name, you will want to point your private domain name to your website here on this community. The different registrars will have different interfaces so I cannot tell you the exact procedures for your registrar. However, you will need to add a DNS “CNAME” record pointing to your domain name on this system.
- The Google organization has published instructions for creating CNAME records on various hosting platforms such as GoDaddy and others. Visit those instructions here.
- If you feel that cannot accomplish the task, you may be able to request help from the technical support section of your registrar. They will have all the information that you need except the address to which you want to redirect your domain.
- To find the address you want to point your private domain name to, visit your site (here on CDN Today) and just copy the address in your browser’s address bar. It will look like: http://tech.cdntoday.com (replace the “tech” part with the short name for your site).
- When you have finished creating the CNAME record, you should visit your site”s dashboard, click on TOOLS and then “Domain Mapping.” In the “Add New Domain” field, enter your private domain name (in the form, mydomain.com ), click on the “Primary Domain” button and then click “Add.”
It may take from a few minutes to three days for everything to start working correctly (depending upon your registrar’s policies). But within three days, your users should be able to enter your private domain name into their browser’s address bar and it will automatically take them to your site here on CDNTODAY.COM!
Note: The simplest process for accomplishing all of this is to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Then contact PAYPAL (http://paypal.com) and send $10 for each year you wish to register the domain (up to $50 for 5 years) to the email address: email@example.com. We will purchase the domain for you and complete the necessary steps to make it work.
Note – we do NOT receive any financial benefit from this. The registrar that we use charges $10/year. What we are doing is a free service to you.