New Version ROM

[error]

Outdated Article!

This entire series of articles is deprecated! Newer ROMs and advanced procedures have replaced (or made obsolete) the information in these articles. This article is retained only for archival purposes.

Please check out our NEWER series of articles on the ViewSonic G-Tablet: https://bishoptec.com/series/gtab-2/
[/error]

How to upgrade or change to new ROM

updateALWAYS be certain that you are flashing a ROM that is compatible to the bootloader version that you have on your GTab. The standard version of CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) ROM is based on a 1.1 boot loader. You should be able to switch to other 1.1-based ROMs without a lot of trouble. (Note: Some devs have modified the standard CM7 to load on a 1.2 bootloader but we do not recommend their use. See our article “Upgrade to 1.2 Bootloader?“)

If you are upgrading to a newer version of the same ROM (eg., flash CM7.0.3 over a CM7.0.2), then you should not need to “reset to factory” or clear the main caches. (It is probably a good idea to clear the dalvik cache.)

We now use (and recommend) the Honeycomb version of Android (built to work better with tablets), visit our “HoneyComb on GTab!” page. It gives some specifics and links to a step-by-step guide, including the links to get the necessary files.

If you still want to flash a (1.1-based) Gingerbread version of Android (over your existing CM7, you should follow the procedures in our “Flashing a Custom Romarticle. We have attempted to build an “if, then” step-by-step guide that should cover most circumstances. If your situation is different or, if you are uncertain about something, you should visit our “New Guide for Rooting the ViewSonic G-Tablet” page since it starts at the beginning and walks you through the entrie process.

Tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to New Version ROM

1. MovieMaker (Mel) says:

Ray, I have a iview900TPCII. It is running ice cream sandwhich 4.04. I am running win7 desktop. What should I do. I need to be broken out of jail!

Thanks in Advance.

MovieMaker

Sorry but I don’t have a clue what that is. If you need to root it, I suggest visit the xda forum and find the device and ask them.

2. technisol says:

The problem is that you are making a blanket statement above. “CyanogenMod 7 ROM is based on a 1.2 boot loader.” The official stable version as well as RC1 are engineered/compiled only for the 1.1 bootloader. If you’re not careful someone is going to end up in a nasty spot because they read that blanket statement about 1.2 and foolishly assumed all versions were for 1.2… Granted they should read more carefully, but that statement is not helping anyone despite another article on another page that gives a link to the offshoot version you found compiled for the 1.2 bootloader. Your site is a great resource, and it’s up to you, but it seems purposely misleading and my intention was merely to bring it to your attention. I’ve enjoyed your site immensely, especially the comparison between the nook and g tablet.

Thank you SOOO much for pointing it out. You are absolutely correct and I must have been asleep. It was an absolute typo that both references were supposed to have been 1.1. I will correct it immediately!
      I have revised the article to clarify the procedure and remove the typos. BTW, I probably was (half-) asleep. I wrote it at 11pm after a long day!
      Thanks again for the feedback. My purpose is to provide help – I certainly co NOT want to insert confusion.

• technisol says:

My pleasure, and I can only admire what you’ve done here!

I only got my G Tablet recently and it was a bear going through the forums on slatedroid and XDA to figure out what I wanted for a firmware. I’ve been designing and building electronics for about 30 years, programming for nearly as long, and still took a rather long while to unwind all the various advice, posts, etc, due to the endless warnings at every turn. Not to mention, recovery, CWM, ROM Manager and NVFlash… Sheesh, talk about a learning curve.

ANYWAY, thanks for a great resource from yet another G Tab owner.

Yep. I also have a similar background. I had one advantage in that I have been on XDA for over 4 years. I went through all of this with my Windows Phones.
          I became a bit of an “expert” on the old Wizard but when I upgraded to the Tilt, I had to learn everything over again. It required that I read about 500 pages on the Forum and then keep up with about 10 per day. Otherwise, if you ask a question, it would be flamed with… “Read the previous posts on the forum.”
          So I began this site partially to help other Tilt users who could not afford that kind of time investment. So, the earliest articles on this site are in support of adding a custom ROM to the Tilt.
          Now, I want to expand into a lot of other technology “toys.” Only problem is that I cannot afford to buy them. What I am hoping for are others — like yourself — who have DIFFERENT toys and would like to use the BoT to provide support similar to what I am doing with the GTab.
          Got any “toys” that you want to support? Leave a CONTACT message to email me.

3. technisol says:

• technisol says:

My pleasure, and I can only admire what you’ve done here!

ANYWAY, thanks for a great resource from yet another G Tab owner.

Got any “toys” that you want to support? Leave a CONTACT message to email me.

4. technisol says:

Fact checking time… As far as I can tell Cyanogenmod is still officially 1.1 bootloader based. But someone does have a thread up with 1.2 bl version… Please look into this issue. It’s gonna get funky if cyano goes 1.2 on a major fork. Probably a good thing for future functionality, but it’ll be confusing and a lot of people will need to redact published pages and posts…

5. technisol says: