Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3

Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3Jelly Bean on Nook Tablet

Rooting your Nook Tablet with Barnes & Noble’s updated (v.1.4.3) Operating System? Will the “standard” technique work with the updated software? This article presents the steps required to take your stock Nook 8GB or 16GB) to the realm a of true Android tablet. For an introduction to rooting and descriptions of other options, see our article… Intro to Rooting & Modding Nook Tablet.

Background:

I already had Jelly Bean on my Nook (see the video above) but I wanted to do a step-by-step guide and include a real time video of the process. Therefore, I started by restoring my Nook to the stock OS before installing Jelly Bean (video for restoring stock).

After the Nook was restored to stock 1.4.2, I connected to my WiFi, signed in to my Google account and allowed the device to go to sleep. At that time, the device downloaded the Over The Air (OTA) update to 1.4.3. After a few minutes it rebooted its self and when I checked, it was upgraded. (You can quickly see the update as a small green “n” in the area next to the clock at the bottom of the screen.)

Confused? Click here to read our “Rooting Tips for Noobs” article.

Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3

Start HERE!

The process for rooting is exactly the same for B&N v.1.4.3 as for previous versions of the Nook OS. See our previous article here for instructions on building the bootable (CWM) card.

NOTICE: Since the NT is a (relatively) old device, some developers have stopped making files available for download. Therefore, some of the links below may not work. I try to keep them current but it is difficult. If you fail to find the proper file, try my “download” section.

1. Power the Nook off entirely.
  2. Insert a bootable SDCard (with ClockWorkMod recovery) into the Nook Tablet.
  3. Boot into recovery: Hold the “n” (Nook) button while pressing the power button. Continue to hold both buttons until the Nook displays a picture of a cardboard box. Then let go of both buttons.
  4. Switch the SDCard: When the Nook displays the CWM interface, you may remove the CWM card and replace it with a different card that contains custom ROM in zip format. If you wish, you can skip to step 9 to install a newer version of CWM to the internal memory.
  5. Backup: If you want, this is a good time to backup the existing OS and all data using the CWM backup function.
  6. Flash the custom ROM to the internal memory of the Nook. Full instructions can be found in our article on CM9 here. Since some versions of CWM (prior to v.6) have problems flashing newer versions of Android, I suggest flashing a copy of CM7b as the first step. The CM7b ROM can be downloaded here. You will also need to flash the Gingerbread version of Google Apps available here.
  7. Reboot into the new custom ROM. Connect to WiFi and sign in to Android with your Google account.
  8. Install the Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) to the internal memory of the Nook using the instructions found here..
  9. Alternate RECOVERY options: You can now download FLASHABLE versions of either ClockWorkMod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP). DO NOT USE CWM prior to v.6.  Flashable Recoveries: CelticStorage.co.uk
    Just flash one of these to the INTERNAL memory just as you would flash a ROM zip. No need to clear or wipe any partitions or caches.

Flash Jelly Bean Android 4.1.1

It may be necessary to manually power on the Nook after using either the Goo Manager (GM) or TWRP. If the device does not power on properly, just hold the power button until the Nook lights up and then let it go. You will likely have the Cyanoboot preloader installed and you must hold the “n” button to get the boot menu. Read the onscreen instructions carefully since different versions use different controls. In any case, you want to select the “eMMC Recovery” option in order to run the TWRP.

1. Download the JB ROM file (http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7…AL-acclaim.zip
    MD5: 5D609685E15C7799FF596A6269F91E66) available from the XDA thread here and the CM10 version of GApps available here. (http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip)  Copy both files (in ZIP form) to the external SDCard inserted in the Nook Tablet. Here is a direct link to the 24 Nov CM10 file: http://celticstorage.co.uk/cm10/sgt7-10-20121124-UNOFFICIAL-acclaim.zip
  2. Boot into TWRP using the instructions in the notice just above.
  3. Select the “Install” button and locate the ROM file. Then “Add” and locate the GApps file.
  4. Press the “Order and Flash” button (at bottom) and then assure that the ROM file is on top and the GApps file is second.
  5. Tic the boxes, at the bottom of the TWRP, to “Wipe cache/dalvik”, “Backup” (optional), and “Wipe data / factory reset”
  6. Flash: Either slide the button across or touch the “Flash” button (which ever is available).
  7. Check the onscreen dialogs to assure that the flash is successful (if not, then check the downloaded files and re-download if necesary, then repeat the procedure.)
  8. When the flash is completed, the NT will reboot (or power off)
  9. Power on (if required) and continue with the Android setup on your new JELLY BEAN Nook Tablet!

Please leave a comment and tell us how it worked for you.

398 Responses to Jelly Bean & Root for Nook Tablet 1.4.3

1. Hershey says:

BNTV250 touchscreen stopped working after CM10.1.3
    Hi Ray, Please Help
    I guess I am really late to this party but I just got a BNTV250 (nook tablet 16GB) and I used cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD-SDC-img to boot into CM “live SD” and it works great, a little stuttering but worked, then I used the same SD image to go into CWM and then I wiped factory and dalvik, then installed cm-10.1.3-acclaim.zip and gapps.

Then CM 10.1 booted, and worked great, until screen went to sleep and when I powered it back on there was no Touch screen function, it stopped.

Now I put the microSD with the img, even with this touchscreen won’t work..

I don’t know what to do.. 🙁

I can only suggest that you visit our “Unbrick” article (link in the list of articles in the series, above).
      I do know that the problem is with the previous ROM and the only way to get it fixed is to get back into that ROM (or a similar one) and turn the “multi-touch” option off. Then reboot and you should be back in control. At that point, I would do the Unbrick and then start fresh with one of our guides.
      Read the comments on the unbrick article. Several other users have also experienced the same problem and their comments may be of help to you.
      Sorry that I can’t be more help, I no longer have a Nook Tablet.
      If all else fails, get a Nexus 7. The 1st gen devices have been selling for less than $150. There is not a HUGE difference in the 2nd gen device except for a higher resolution screen. I have the 1st and it is GREAT! You don’t even need to root it since Google gives you all the options anyway. The only thing you miss by not rooting (IMHO) is backup.

2. Tim says:

Hi Ray, how do I add files directly to the 8GB Nook Tablet? When I connect the tablet to the Macbook directly there is no drive that loads on my desktop.

3. Syed says:

Great instruction. I learned a lot. Congradulatin helping nook community.
    I successfuly rooted my nook tablet 1.4.3 to cm9. I tried different flavors too.
    Honestly I think nook tablet 1.4.3 is very smooth and fast. I got frustated during CM testing. Slow browser. During browsing the touch buttons were not responsive and were not at their position at google play.

I asked question to myself.Do i really need to root. I need good browsing experience, like reading books, netflex movies. All i can do with my nook tablet. I think it is not cost effective to root as i i end up getting slow system. So luckly i did back up so i restored. But it was a great learning experience.
    Syed

Glad you had a good experience. I understand about cm9. But I had no problems with Jelly Bean.
      Thanks for leaving a comment!

• Syed says:

Hey Ray, I suggest if there is a way to create a shell / interface for those app which do not run on NT so that without changing the operating system we can still run on NT 1.4.x . One of the game is Mine craft . Do you know or think we can make minecraft run in NT environment?
        Thanks
        -Syed

4. Jenn says:

I followed the steps above and have tried to problem solve through going back through the other articles. I have a NT 1.4.3. When I boot, I initially get the green arrow and then the B&N “Please restart your device and try again. If you encounter the same issue, please contact customer service or visit….”. Did I miss a step? Do you have advice? If I wasn’t using the NT to homeschool my trio of 10 year olds, I wouldn’t have such heartburn over the lack of flash support but furloughs etc, can’t really support buying another device right now. Evil corporations! 😉

Several users have reported similar issues but I have never seen it. I don’t have a Nook Tablet now but if you read back in the preceding comments, you may find a solution.
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Sorry that I don’t have an answer.

5. phil says:

Can one use 32gb card for rooting

6. Hey Ray. So it was my first time working with something other than an Apple product and luckily, after much trial and error, my Nook is running smoothly. But I still have a question.
    Whenever the lock screen is active, it’s always in landscape mode. Is there any way to change that?

I don’t have a Nook any more and I can’t test it but I am sure that you can.
      One of the best things about Android is the configuration. You can do almost anything with an Android device.
      1. Check out the settings screens and look for a setting there.
      2. You can probably find another lockscreen app on the Play Store.
      3. Or, you could switch to a different rom.

7. stePH says:

I have this “can’t get past [Skip Video]” issue as well. When the CWM boot card that I made per Ray’s instructions didn’t work (Nook just booted normally), I went looking for other solutions and found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpay7wbRIlQ
    This is where I learned that my Nook apparently won’t boot into recovery unless connected to a computer.
    It seemed to work fine, but I couldn’t tell what version of Android it had flashed, and the apps market didn’t seem any better than the B&N Market, so I re-ran the CWM on the card, then flashed the most current JB ROM I could find (sgt7-10-20121209-meghd00t.acclaim.zip).
    This put me into Cyanogen when I restarted, but gave me the error message “ADW launcher has stopped working”. This is when I decided to flash back to stock and try Ray’s instructions again, now that I know I need to connect to a PC to get into CWM.
    But we all now know how that worked out. I never went into any settings to change “touch” controls so I never knowingly set it to “10 fingers”, and flashing the old ROM from the YouTube video hasn’t helped – on restart it goes back to the non-responsive “watch/skip video” screen. I’ve recreated Ray’s CWM boot card* and will try this again when I get home.**

* I only have two usable SD cards for this, one is reserved as the “restore stock” card and the other has been back and forth as two different CWM cards.
    ** My work computer is the only one I can get to boot into Ubuntu from the thumb drive, so I have to make Ray’s CWM card here.

• stePH says:

Fixed. Went to XDA, got bootable CM10, turned off 10-touch (how it got turned on is a boggle to me) and flashed the 1.4.2 restore successfully. Applying 1.4.3 now and will follow Ray’s instructions when done.

• stePH says:

Ray’s CWM card does not work in my device. The tablet won’t even turn on with it inserted.
        Plan B: run the boot SD card used in the YooToobvid to get CWM running, then pick up Ray’s procedure beginning with the Gingerbread ROMs.

If you have the BOOT issues correct, then the device will turn on with the card installed – even if there is no CWM or other recovery on the card. It would turn on but fail to boot. You might have a bad SDCard or you may have not properly formatted the card.

• stePH says:

Card’s fine. After much stress and fail, got the other CWM to run, and installed more current version to internal. Then reboot into recovery and flashed JB. Never did get TWCP to work, but didn’t need to.
            First JB run had processes crashing nonstop, but a”factory reset” resolved it, and I’m neck-deep in Jellybean goodness now. Thank you Mr. Waldo, and all the good folk at XDA Revs whose postings got me to where I needed to be. 😀

Well, at least you got it working!
            Is Jelly Bean worth the effort? 🙂

• stePH says:

Jellybean’s nice. And I’ve been thru more stress and fail this morning, but at the end of it all Barnabas is dialed in to my satisfaction, INCLUDING a working install of TWeRP as well as the most current stable versions of CM10 and GApps. The path getting here was ludicrously convoluted and involved a few wrong turns, but ultimately, I’ve arrived. 🙂

All around, you deserve applause! And thanks for keeping us in the loop as you progressed along the way.

• stePH says:

…actually, I wouldn’t even have felt it so imperative to root this thing, if only it were possible to get a Kindle app for the stock Nook Tablet. I’ve had (and broken the screens of) two Pandigital tablets that came with B&N reader software preinstalled, and even though they were also hobbled with non-Google app markets, Kindle was still available for them.

Yep, and “android” tablet is junk if you are not allowed to use the Play Store. The new Nook HD includes the Play Store but I still chose to root it. My Galaxy S4 is not rooted. I just installed a different launcher and I am happy.

That sounds like a plan. Actually, my stuff should work on 1.4.2 or any other software.

8. Mac says:

Hello Ray, thank you for all the work you’ve done to assist us all in our electronic endeavors.

I noticed that both recovery links in step #9 are broken. Would you happen to know of a new location.

Mac

Yes, they are broken. The UK developer no longer supports the device. It is getting to be old technology and most people have moved on to the Nexus 7 or one of the other new devices.
      Sorry but I do not have an alternate source. However, the basic instructions in the guide for installing TWRP should still be valid.

9. Seth Shoemaker says:

Ok. So, I have followed this and got Jellybean rooted on my nook… the only problem is that it refuses to boot (or even turn on) without an SD Card with CM10 on it to initiate the boot… Have you ever seen this problem? Any ideas what to do/where to look?

I do have ADB and can look at the nook that way if needed.

Thanks for your write-ups… much more useable!

Sounds like you did not install the boot software on the device – just on the sdcard. Start at the beginning of the article and follow the instructions exactly.

• LosEl3MeN2 says:

Does this work for model BNTV250A? if no, is there a way to install it on this model?

Although I no longer have a Nook Tablet, I believe that is the model number for the device. Why did you ask about this model number rather than just calling it a “Nook Tablet”?

• Carlos Taveras says:

Because i tried multiple time on this model and one video i watched said “Make sure you have a Nook Color eBook Reader (BNRV200), not a Nook Tablet (BNTV250), they look exactly the same!”, so I’m just wondering how can i get the software on the model i provided or as you call it nook tablet. Is the video you posted suppose to work on this model?

My guides are for the Nook Tablet (bn250). They will no work for the Nook Color or the HD.
            I have a Nook HD and I will publish a guide for it later. There are many guides for the Nook Color – just search on Google.

10. Tom Hunt says:

Thank you so much for the great tutorials! They are very clearly written/recorded and include all the details. I hit a few bumps in the road, but I now have JellyBean running on my 8GB NT! *pause for pat on the back to you, pat on the back to me*
    The essence of the process seems to be an admixture of patience, tenacity, and courage. For the archives, here a few notes. I work with Linux Mint 14 and have a Nook Tablet 8GB.
    I used a 2GB SanDisk for the bootable SD card. I didn’t get the zip from your bootable SD card tutorial working ( probably my error ). I used the SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7.zip. Since I’m on Linux, I extracted the file and renamed the .img file as cwm.img. Then, I issued dd bs=1M if=cwm.img of=/dev/sdc. (like you, I use a usb loader for micro SD cards, so my mount point is a /dev/sdX ). This worked like a charm. I followed the rest of your tutorial to the letter.
    I followed your ICS tutorial as much as it made sense to flash CM7 (gingerbread) on to the Nook Tablet. I used the cm-7-TEAM-B-BETA1-signed.zip and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip that you recommend. Gingerbread was very stable. I reveled in my success and installed a bunch of nonsense at that point ( AngryBirds, Pandora, Minecraft, Nook, Kindle, Netflix, etc. ). Everything worked great.
    Next up was to install Goo Manager and get to work! Here came some challenges. Goo Manager installed without a hitch. I hit a snag with the TWRP. It didn’t want to install. I just kept blindly adding it again and again from the “install OpenRecovery Script” option until it took. After multiple runs through a lot of this process, I now subscribe to the belief that you need to reboot after TWRP is installed and before you move on to flash a ROM. I can’t remember now if you mention that. It may be total nonsense, but I believe it and will still do it every time :).
    The next little test of faith came from the JellyBean and GApps ROMs. I tried several in various combinations. They all pretty much ended up with me looking at a dead tablet. Some got closer than others, and that gave me hope to play with combinations. In the end, I used the stable CM10 straight from Cyanogen ( cm-10.1.0-acclaim.zip ) and the latest GApps from the Goo Manger ( gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip ). These worked for me.
    If anyone posts back and wants links, I can provide them. Most likely, the awesome work the Devs are doing will surpass the versions I used soon. As a developer, I like to know a winning combination of versions to start with before I start playing with variations.
    All in all, it is pretty stable. As you point out, the mic isn’t much. I find that the browser likes to just quit if I’ve clicked too many links. A hefty browse through imgur caused it to just die and take me back to the home page several times. Other than that, it seems to work great.
    Well, those are my notes. I hope they may add to the pantheon of knowledge you’ve set forth here. Again, my thanks to you for putting all this together. This is by far the best tutorial series out there on rooting, flashing, unbricking, and restoring embedded devices that I’ve seen.

Sincerely,
    Tom

Tom.. That is a great debrief. It will help others, I am certain.

• Tom Hunt says:

I hope so! As a follow up, I’ve now flashed three Nook 8gb tablets to JellyBean without a hitch. There’s now a new version of TWRP. They’ve changed the key controls, so you need to let go of the Nook button as soon as the boot menu starts to appear. Cheers!

11. Stan says:

Ray – thanks so much for all your helpful step-by-step videos and written instructions. It’s obvious you’ve put many, many hours into this project. I’ve spent months deliberating over the jump from nook-zergy weird hybrid root-non-root thing on my NT16, to Jelly Bean. After spending quite a while in the trial and error of producing a bootable CWM SD card (didn’t happen to have a SanDisk card available), I was finally able to get it going on an old Kingston 4GB card. Even with that done, the turmoil and vagaries of rooting were not insignificant. So finally I got CM 10.1 installed using a ROM called cm_10.1-20130331-1837-Acclaim-Nooked.zip, and got many of my apps set up. Life was good. Then I got the dreaded and annoying “unfortunately, system UI has stopped,” which rendered the NT pretty much useless without extreme measures. I ended up wiping the cache and dalvik cache with CWM. That fixed it – for now. That little bit of instability is very unsettling. Any ideas about that?

It may be a fluke. Use cwm to create a backup while it is working correctly. You can then play with it and later just restore the backup to return to the current status.
      If the device fails again, flash a different ROM and try that. You will need to do a factory reset and reinstall the apps. If it fails also, you probably have a hardware issue. If it doesn’t then it was an issue with the ROM.
      Is there a newer version of the ROM? That one is several months old and the developer may have fixed it in a newer version.

• Stan says:

Good call, Ray, about doing a backup. I’ve done so. As for the ROM versions, is newer generally considered better? I have seen “nightlies” with very recent dates. Are these bigger-better-stronger? Or are they some interim iterations that need to be proven before they are ready for prime time?

I would avoid the nightly versions. But the production versions are almost always better. The developer has fixed problems and will generally NOT support previous versions after releasing a new version.

• Stan says:

Between the time I put Jelly Bean on my NT (my original post above) until today, I’d had various severe problems including frequent automatic reboots, the system freezing up, and boot loops. I found the most recent stable Cyanogenmod ROM, cm-10.1.2-acclaim.zip, from get.cm, and flashed it using TWRP. I discovered that it wouldn’t play video (played sound, no picture), and then I realized I should also update gapps – dated 20130301 – the one for Android 4.2.2. That did the trick! The results are nothing short of stunning. It is running very smoothly, without the slightest hiccup yet. It seems to run faster, and it appears to be easier on the battery. The startup splash screen doesn’t have any of the weirdness that the preceding one did. Sleek and clean! I’m liking it very much at this point. Thanks again, Ray, for all your help.

Different roms approach things from different views. One developer may be trying for the fastest os while another seeks stability. And, each new version generally fixes some issues from the previous – but may introduce new issues.
            Glad that you found the right rom. Thanks for your comments.

12. Rob says:

Hello, Ray!
    Thanks for all of this. It has made it easier for me to understand the whole process. I did end up with Jelly Bean on my nook tablet but every time it boots it does something weird – while on the cyanoboot screen half of the screen goes fuzzy, then the other half goes fuzzy about a second later. And by fuzzy, I mean it looks like snow on a tv screen (with a little yellow tint to it) Then it does boot to JB. Is this something that could be harmful? Does this error sound like something familiar to you? Just curious if this is something I need to fix that could cause problems in the future, or should i just accept it and continue to use the tablet as usual.

Thanks!
    Rob

That sounds pretty much like what my device did. I have seen it on other devices with cyanoboot. As long as it works properly after it boots, just ignore it. Cyanoboot is not active after the boot is finished.

13. Zachariah Schimp says:

Hello Ray,

I am having issues booting my Tablet into Recovery Mode. I am holding down the N first, followed by the power button, and what ends up happening is a hard reset, rather than a recovery boot. Are you sure I’m supposed to hold down those two buttons? Also, is there any particular order in which the buttons need to be pressed?

I no longer have a Nook Tablet and it has been quite some time since I have worked with one so my memory is fuzzy about the sequence. However, the GUIDE is absolutely correct. I checked and rechecked it, there is YouTube video of the operation, and probably thousands of users have completed the task successfully. So, whatever the Guide says, do it EXACTLY and – unless your Nook is broken in some fashion – you should be good to go.
      If all else fails, visit our guide for Unbricking the Nook. https://bishoptec.com/2012/06/how-to-un-brick-a-nook-tablet-8gb-or-16gb/

14. Followed your guides to the letter and noooow I have a Jelly Bean Nook! Thanks for the easy to follow guide! Talk about falling-off-a-log easy 😀

15. Als says:

Great Job!
    I have a problem which I don’t know how to root NT 8 gb wioth sd card using windows